Our Building is really four separate structures completed between 1860 and 1870, as best we can determine, located on the corner of Whitaker Street and W. State Street in the heart of Savannah’s Historic District. Three of the buildings front on Whitaker Street and the fourth is a stand-alone structure with a beautiful wooden cathedral ceiling that was used for coffee roasting around 1870 and subsequently housed an oyster roasting business.
The buildings on Whitaker which were once identified as 30, 30 ¼, 30 ½, and 32 Whitaker, and later 110, 112, 114, 116, 118, and 120 Whitaker, and 20 W. State Street, housed numerous businesses over the decades including a shoe and boot business (just after the American Civil War), a “high end” carriage building business, sewing machine business, cigar store, jeweler, art framing store, and restaurant.
20 W. State (which included the second and third stories of the structures) was mostly residential, but at different times included a dentist office and loan business. We are restoring the building to its original beauty as reflected in the historical photographs on this page. Our building is located in the Wright’s Square business district.